Wednesday, 17 April 2013

Kathleen Wynne, Premier of Ontario Replies to My Email Regarding the Glucagon Law

I received a response from Kathleen Wynne today after I had previously emailed her an outline of the Glucagon Policy issue here in Guelph and elsewhere in Ontario and across Canada. In the meantime, the Board of Trustees for the Upper Grand School Board notified me last week of their decision to maintain the status quo and not update the Glucagon Policy despite the progressive, inclusive and very accomodating Glucagon Policy changes adopted by the Wellington Catholic School Board. I was under the impression that I would be given an opportunity to "delegate" (speak for 10 minutes to elucidate the issue and advocate in my own words)  to the Board of Trustees regarding the safe use of Glucagon by teachers and other staff in the schools. I was not, however, afforded this opportunity.

I have had support for a change in the policy from many sources, including emergency services and education professionals yet the board of trustees seem very confident that they have made a safe decision. A policy that excludes the administration of a life-saving injection is descriminatory and placing all type 1 diabetic students at risk: I have been reliably informed that it is not possible to guarantee the arrival of EMS personnel within a certain span of time as there are many factors that influence response times and firefighters do not carry Glucagon or have training in its administration. I was saddened by  board trustee Mark Bailey's letter that outlined in an unfeeling manner how they would not be changing the policy - it did not seem like the sort of letter one should be sending the mother of an 8 year old type 1 diabetic trying to affect change for all T1D kids, not just her own. 

"Thank you very much for your online message regarding the Upper Grand District School Board. I value the input I receive from the people of Ontario, and appreciate your bringing your concerns to my attention.
I note that you have also sent a copy of your correspondence to my colleague
the Honourable Liz Sandals, Minister of Education. I understand that the ministry will be responding to your concerns.

Once again, thank you for writing to share your views with me. Please accept my best wishes.
Kathleen Wynne
Premier of Ontario

c: The Honourable Liz Sandals"

No comments:

Post a Comment