I am not sure what to say today. I am gutted. I feel so terrible for Owen because he can't go back to school without anybody willing to administer Glucagon in an emergency.
I have re-read my correspondence and mulled over my telephone conversations and in-person encounters with other mums of kids with T1D from the past week. In each case that I heard about there was a willing staff member at their child's school who offered to deliver the Glucagon if the child was unconscious. This was unofficial by necessity due to Board policy - it is just the right thing to do. I admire those who volunteer to give Glucagon because they have the situation in perspective - they know that if this is ever required of them that it is straightforward and could mean saving a child's life. They also know that to politicize the administering of a life-saving injection is wrong.
I admit that I feel confused and upset by administrators who have said that they have advised staff not to administer Glucagon. By becoming involved in my child's emergency protocol, the administrator has effectively cut off my son's access to his school. Why was this done? Would anybody in their right mind stand and watch a child lapse into a diabetic coma while they wait for the 911 response? Our doctor wrote on our emergency directions form that if Owen is unresponsive, to administer Glucagon and call 911. Owen is 7 years old and the staff have been advised not to administer Glucagon. It blows my mind.
This blog began as a forum for communicating positive aspects of my son's life as he lives a healthy life with Type 1 diabetes. It has evolved to act as a sounding board for the challenges my son has met - great strides have been made in healthcare and education research: Students living with chronic health issues do have different requirements that need accommodations and should be reflected in the board policies around attendance and testing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment