My son's diabetes team met with us today. Our nurse, dietitian, newly introduced social worker and social work student gathered to discuss Owen's progress - weight gain, blood sugar levels, eating habits, concerns, home life, etc. It was lovely to speak with people who understand what we are going through.
The interesting breakthrough that we had was to have several professionals calmly inform us that they interact with 61 T1D families that have not had to use Glucagon since their children were diagnosed. In fact, some of them don't even know where it is in their house! I also discovered that my decision this week to leave the Glucagon at home when walking with Owen, was a good one. As long as I have a 15g carb snack, I will feel secure knowing that if he seems to be having low blood sugar, I can react appropriately until we get home.
At school, hopefully as early as Friday, I will be there initially to monitor his blood sugar levels and perhaps our afterschool teachers will be permitted by the board of directors to administer Glucagon in an emergency as they are not bound by the same policy constrictions that the public school teachers are. We will see when the board meets to discuss the issue in a week. We will feel better knowing that Owen would receive Glucagon in the unlikely event that it should be required. Peace of mind. I dare hope that we will feel that someday.
Meanwhile, the Public School Board, Ministry of Education and our local M.P.P., Liz Sandals are discussing a change in the Glucagon policy - now we just need to get all of the school boards in Canada to update and bring the T1D families out of the dark corners with their secret league of Glucagon-toting Resistance fighters.
No comments:
Post a Comment