Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Glucagon Pen: A delivery system similar to the EpiPen!

I have been tormenting my brain thinking of a closed system for delivering Glucagon to type 1 diabetics similar to the EpiPen one pen system. It would involve a membrane between two chambers - one with sterile water and the other with the Glucagon hormone powder. A button or somesuch would be depressed to break the membrane to allow the water and hormone to be gently mixed and then the needle could be loaded and injected into the hypoglycemic, unconcsious T1D person.

Well...I was searching online to see if someone had actually developed anything similar and I found the following blog with the following information: http://www.diabetesmine.com/2010/07/enjects-glucapen-diabetes-answer-to-the-epipen.html.

 
The one-stop-shop quality of this injector would undercut some of the understandable consternation that people feel when presented with a life-saving tool, worried about making a mistake or hurting the prone person. This would remove much of that losing-valuable-time dithering that may result otherwise. I haven't had to deliver Glucagon in it's current two step incarnation as yet (hopefully never will) and I just hope I can keep it together in the heat of the moment because I am emotionally involved with my little guy (another person would likely show more objectivity than his mum).

I am going to research what has happened to this glorious design as the blog's date was several years ago.

Stay tuned...

Here is the Enject website: http://enject.com/Images_and_Videos.html.



So, it seems to me that it would be much easier to ask teachers to use a pen that is similar to an EpiPen in an hypoglycemic emergency than mix the powder and liquid together with a visible needle at the tip. For now though, the only option is the two-part system. I do wonder, however, which process will outsnail the other - the FDA approval of Enject or the UGDSB Glucagon Safety Protocol update or even the passing of a Glucagon Law similar to Sabrina's Law in Ontario/Canada? The FDA has had a significant head start, but then again slow and steady wins the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment