February 14th, 2013
Dear Ms Sandals and Mr. Valeriote,
I would like to say that despite my frustration with the process of updating the Glucagon protocol/Law, I do genuinely appreciate the effort and empathy that those involved have offered. I know that there are no monsters in this scenario - it really just my fear for Owen and my feelings of helplessness expressing itself.
I have put my career on the line in the past when I was incensed by an injustice and cannot expect everyone to do the same. I was probably foolish to do so, but do not regret it. For the record, in my letter I was suggesting that my spouse and I draft a waiver to absolve teachers of responsibility in case Owen does require Glucagon. If Owen's outcome is not positive after administering Glucagon, nobody would be liable. I would do that because I know that it would not be possible to hurt Owen by administering Glucagon and I would be grateful to anyone who tried to help him.
It is my sincere hope that by expressing my anguish about the molasses-in-January-like progress of due process, that I have not alienated those very people who hold the key to the emancipation of Glucagon administration. As you read in my letter, I am wont to descend into alliterative hyperbole when pushed to extremes - I do try to maintain a sense of humour despite my distress! My ire is heartfelt and not aimed at any individuals - just nebulous obstacles to my Glucagon end-goal.
Best regards,
Beth Mulkins
Hi Beth
ReplyDeleteNot quite sure how my Internet travels landed me here but here I am! I'm very sorry to hear of Owen's troubles and your struggles with the UGDSB. I would love to help or at least add one more voice to your requests for assistance from the Board.
You can get my contact info from Mrs. Charles.
Martha (Connor's mum)
Hi Martha,
DeleteThanks for your support! We should brainstorm over a coffee and call ourselves the "Glucagon Protocol Resistence Fighters" - capes optional. We could train "Good Samaritan" teachers (protected by the
Good Samaritan Act in Ontario) on how to administer Glucagon and slip back into the shadows knowing that we have made the world a safer and better place for children with Type 1 Diabetes.
http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2011/10/21/good-samaritans/
Cheers,
Beth
Sounds like a great idea! I would totally rock a cape! I like the stealth idea - no-one will ever know it was us.
DeleteCoffee (or tea) and brainstorming sounds good to me!
Martha