This blog began as a forum for communicating positive aspects of my son's life as he lives a healthy life with Type 1 diabetes. It has evolved to act as a sounding board for the challenges my son has met - great strides have been made in healthcare and education research: Students living with chronic health issues do have different requirements that need accommodations and should be reflected in the board policies around attendance and testing.
Thursday, 10 April 2014
Don't Let The Man Get You Down
One of my favourite movies to watch with our kids is School of Rock with Jack Black, Joan Cusack and others. I think I identify with his character and the prevailing message throughout the movie is to embrace the unique person you are, each of us. I guess I am a little haunted by our negative UGDSB and CMHA experiences of the past year and well before that if I am being honest here (and I am!). I had some pretty disturbing nightmares in the wee hours this morning. They reflected my frustration, anxiety and feelings of helplessness in protecting my kids from tunnel vision, narrow thinking and just plain mean spiritedness at the hands of The Man (insensitive institutions at large). It is easy to feel intimidated when phone calls, letters, emails all tell you that you despite everything you know is right, you must do this THING, this THING that if you do not do it, will result in this OTHER BAD THING. Ach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment