Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Empathy is alive and well in Guelph!

A great step forward today. Owen has begun attending the school where his friends attend and where his sister attended. I used to wheel Owen there daily in his run-behind stroller to deliver Emily to school and then proceed to huff and puff up and down the steep hills in that neighbourhood for my daily exercise. The school admin remembers our daughter and I! Feels like going home. I don't expect people to always agree with me, but I have to say that after a year of feeling like we were speaking into a void, the principal at Owen's new school has already connected with us in a way that feels right and very human. I hardly know what to do with myself. I will administer Owen's insulin at lunch daily, but my morning and afternoon until the end of the school day is mine to work. I think I will take each day as it comes for the next bit, give myself the space I need to percolate some ideas and thoughts - avoid the UGDSB battleground that has been my life since Owen's T1D diagnosis and our daughter's struggles with depression. Sadly, I did find a message on our machine after returning from Owen's school this morning and it was a person from CMHA asking how Owen was doing. I am not going to concern myself with that right now. For the moment, I am enjoying the peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment